Moving is an integral aspect of life. Whether you move by yourself or frequently with the help of a Movers Melbourne company, it can still be a tiring process. While moving isn’t easy for anyone, there are some tricks for packing and unpacking faster, reducing the amount of effort, and making the process go a little more smoothly than it could otherwise. Here are a few packing and moving hacks that can help to make your move go smoother.
Get yourself ready to move
- As soon as you know you’re relocating, contact the moving companies. It will save you time, and you’ll not have to worry about doing it later.
- Make a financial plan as moving can be costly. It would be wise to use an online moving cost calculator to determine how much you can expect to spend.
- Making a list of items you need will help you to get a good estimate of how much packing material you’ll require. This way, you’ll know you’ll get everything you need on your first trip to the store.
- Eat as much as you can. Make it a mission to consume as much of the food you already have on hand before moving day. Coming up with new recipes is another way you can use the food. Donate unopened/unexpired food to a local food bank and do good at the same time.
Getting rid of belongings
- Purge your closet. Get rid of everything that doesn’t fit, is out of style, and/or hasn’t been worn in a year.
- Remove everything you wouldn’t buy again. If you’re unsure whether something has a purpose in your life, consider whether you would buy it if you didn’t already have it.
- Make arrangements for donation pick-up. If you know you’ll be giving large things like furniture or rugs, plan a pick-up ahead of time to ensure they get to the right place.
- Consider storing items for a brief period of time. If you can’t commit to getting rid of anything right now but aren’t sure you need it, consider putting it in a short-term storage unit and deciding later.
Spending less on your relocation
- Obtain quotations from a variety of Movers Sydney companies or your local area movers. This ensures that you receive the greatest deal, and you might even find that a company is eager to lower their estimate in exchange for your business.
- Consider all of your possibilities. The ideal and smart way to move is the way that doesn’t hamper your budget and demands. To find the most cost-effective choice, compare moving companies to moving trucks to make the best decision.
- Free packing supplies can be found easily. Calling local retailers or simply asking friends and family members can often result in free boxes. This way you can save time and money.
Plan ahead of time for the final move
- Don’t empty the drawers in your dresser. Remove the drawers from the dresser, leave the goods inside, and wrap the drawer with plastic wrap to secure it. You can leave the drawers in the dresser and cover the dresser itself in plastic wrap if it’s not too heavy.
- Hang your clothing up to dry. Keep clothing on hangers and cover them in large rubbish bags or hang them in a wardrobe box.
- Make use of your linens, towels, and other soft stuff. Wrap breakables like glasses or perfume bottles in socks for extra protection, and cushion fragile, difficult-to-wrap things like lamps and vases with linens and towels. In the kitchen, wrap knives and other sharp objects in dishcloths and secure them in place with a rubber band.
- Boxes can be color-coded. Pick up a sheet of different colored stickers and designate each colour to a room to save time with your box labeling. That way, you’ll be able to immediately identify what goes where, and you won’t have to look for the marker every time you close a box.
- It is recommended to make a moving essentials bag for your belongings. In a compact duffel bag or suitcase, pack important documents, medications, chargers, basic toiletries, and other items you’ll need access to throughout your move and quickly after you’ve arrived at your new home.
Additional hacks for moving day
- Bring an esky. Fill an esky with easy-to-grasp goods like water bottles and quick nibbles to keep your strength up during the day. Instead of using a moving truck, transport it in your car so you can get it whenever you need it.
- Make a plan for small children and pets. If your children are too small to assist on moving day, have them stay out with friends or family to reduce some of your tension while also keeping them safe. The same can be done for the pets as well.
- Packing at the last minute can cause your entire day to drag. Make it a mission to be entirely packed before the movers arrive or the rental truck arrives. That way, you can concentrate immediately on completing the task at hand.
Unpacking the items
- It is great to begin with the kitchen. Getting the kitchen done first will give you a sense of achievement straight away and allow you to concentrate on the rooms that are easier to unpack.
- Set a deadline for yourself. A few weeks after your relocation, plan a housewarming celebration or a more casual get-together. This will provide you with a timeframe for completing your unpacking.
- As you empty boxes, get rid of them. Break down and recycle a box as soon as it has been emptied of all of its contents. This will provide you with a tangible indicator of your success as well as free up much-needed room in your new house.
Moving hacks are all about making your life a little bit simpler. If you follow the steps above, you’ll find that your move isn’t quite as bad as you thought. With the services of a Movers Brisbane company or your local mover, you can easily have a successful move!
READ ALSO: Ultimate Guide To Apartment Moving